So I think Hannah and I have pretty much covered all of Brussels. I have really enjoyed walking around the city. We would walk down one street and it would be ok and then the next would be really beautiful!
We started out this morning by going to Grand Place, Brussel's beautiful square. The buildings around the square are very ornately decorated. There is a museum in the Grand Square that housed the costumes for the Mannekan Pis. The admission was cheap, so we went in. It was funny to see the variety of costumes the statue would wear. They ranged from outfits representing different countries to costumes for festivals. It was quite amusing.
Then we headed to the Palace and it's gardens. There were tons of children in the park learning about police safety or something. Then we headed to the Congress Column, which has an eternal flame in honor for those who lost their lives in World War I. Also, there is a tomb of an unknown soldier located under the column. There was supposed to be a panoramic view there, according to our map. Yet sadly all we could see was ugly construction.
Next, we went to Brussels botanical gardens. We didn't go inside, but instead just walked around the surrounding gardens. They were a beautiful oasis full of fountains and statues. We were hungry after that so we of course got a waffle!
Then we went to Saint Catherine's Cathedral. It is a church well known due to the fact that there are urinals next to the church where men can actually urinate against the side of the church! Brussels sure has some weird things. The church looked very gothic; it was dark and run-down.
I really think that Hannah and I have walked the entire city. I mean, I think we have walked down every single street in Brussels. With all of our walking, we have been fortunate enough to avoid the rain. Brussels weather is strange, in that one minute the sun is shining and the next thing you know you are caught in a down-pour! We were right next to our hostel when it happened the first time today. Then the next time, we had just entered a Thai restuarant for dinner. When we finished eating the sun was shining and the sky was bright blue! The Thai food was really good! I haven't eaten that well in sometime. We both got Salmon!
Tomorrow, we are headed for London! It is our last country! We have a lot to accomplish but we do have 3 full days there.
Dad to answer your question about Belgium chocolate. Yes, we both had some in Brugge from a fancy chocolate shop. We both just got a couple of pieces and tried different things. It was wonderful! We also bought chocolate bars today from a grocery store. They are official Belguim chocolate, just a whole lot cheaper. It is supposedly what true Belguim people eat!
Well, it is getting kind of late. Gotta go! Love you all!
-MLE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment