Thursday, May 31, 2007

All Roads Lead to Grand Market

So I think we've walked down just about every road Brussels has to offer. On the map the city looks pretty big, but once you realize that it only takes 20minutes to walk from one side of the city to the other, it gets small again.

Today we went to the Grand Market, which we were in yesterday but didn't know it. We went to the Brussel City Museum and saw a lot of boring stuff mixed with cool stuff like the Manneken Pis's different outfits. We wished it was a holiday so he would be dressed up right now. After we did that we walked to the Palace area which was flooded with little kids. It must have been some school something because there were different government officials there giving out different information to a bunch of school kids. We hung out by the fountains for a little while, and then we moved on.

We walked around for a while until we reached the top of the city where there were some cool botanical gardens. We stayed until we got hungry and then went and got a waffle. I'm really sad to be leaving the waffles because they really are a little piece of heaven in your mouth. After the gardens we walked to Saint Catherine's Cathedral which looks like a run down beauty and the beast type cathedral. The whole reason for going there is because you are legally allowed to urinate on the side of it. Seriously, they have urinals built into the side of the church with water running down the walls. It was funny until a guy actually used it and then it was just gross.

After that the weather turned really dark really fast, so we decided to head back to our hostel and hang out for a bit. It ended up perfect because it started raining right as we were almost at our hostel. Then we took a little nap while it thunderstormed. Wonderful.

We walked around a little bit after our nap, but no new roads because we've already walked down everyone by this time. We ended up in Grand Market (go figure), and then we went and ate at a really cool Thai restaurant. What I really really really miss right now is how in America you sit down and they bring you out a huge glass of water. I'm not used to this having to pay for water stuff. It kind of makes me worry about these Europeans. I think they are all seriously dehydrated. All they do is drink alcohol and walk. There has to be some sort of dehydration going on here! Crazy!

Anyway, we leave tomorrow for London. It's kind of bittersweet. I'm ready to be lazy and not feel like I have to run around and do everything; however, on that same note I'm really going to be miss being in Europe, seeing cool stuff, and meeting cool people. So far it has definitely been a really sweet experience.

Mom, I think we fly in at like 5pm on the 5th. Are you coming to pick me up? Dad, are you going to be in town when I get back, or are you going to be in Europe somewhere? Tell Marissa that I'll come and visit her in Nicaragua if she decides to stay there. :) Love you all!
-H

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
We know your trip is fast coming to a close and it seems that you have had a wonderful time. We look forward to seeing you and hearing more about your trip after you get home.
Mawmaw has finished your t-shirt blanket and I think it looks great.
She is glad that this was not done while you were at Auburn or everyone would have wanted one.
It took her a lot of time, but she loved doing it, but wouldn't want to do it for a living.
Hope you have a great trip back to England and then back home.
Granddaddy

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
Who said you are going to sit around and be lazy!!!I have plans!!! I will be there to pick you up. Daddy, I think will be in town. He looked up the time of your flight and it is around 3:30. We can't wait to see you,Mom

Mom said...

Hello,
I want to know what happen with Canadians that Hannah is so mad about. The waffles are making me hungry. I have your flight info, so I will be at the ariport at the top of the escalator waiting anxiously. Have a great time in London. Tell the Queen I said hello.
Love and miss you, MOM