Monday, June 4, 2007

Last Day of Our Euro Trip

Today we accomplished a whole lot! We got off to an early stop and headed over to the houses of parliament and Big Ben. I never realized before that Big Ben is actually attached to the houses, I have always just seen it potrayed seperatley. We got some good/funny pics in front of Ben.

Then we headed to Westminster Abbey, which is basically just right next door to the houses of parliament. It was really neat and I was happy that we payed the admission. They have tons of really important people buried there, including Elizabeth the 1st. Princess Diana's funeral service as well as the Queen Mother's was held there. In Westminster is located the coronation chair. It was too pretty, just an old wood chair, but it was neat to see it because of it's significance.

After our visit to the Abbey, we went to Buckingham Palace and got to see the changing of the guards. At first, we didn't have the best place to see it so we just decided to leave. On our way to the tube though, we endedd up getting an excellant view. Hannah got some really good pics of the traditional guards in the red uniform and funny hats!

Then we went to Harrod's. I had no idea that it was in such a fancy building. Everything in there was so expensive. We toured around and basically the only thing we could afford was keychains, so we got those. I really liked getting to see Harrod's because there is a scene in Bridget Jone's Diary where her mother gets a job in Harrod's selling some sort of egg cracking device.

Our last major stop of the day, was the monument. We had payed for a ticket the other day at the Tower Bridge and decided that we had to use it. We were hoping there was a lift to the top because we were tired and had just eaten lunch so our tummies were full. Instead there was yet another spiral staircase. I feel that we have climbed so... many stairs in Europe in order to get to the top of things. For example, the Pantheon, Notre Dame, and the Belfry. Once we climbed the 311 stairs to the top, we had an excellant view of London. It actually ended up being a wonderful way to say goodbye to the city!

Lastly, we went to the Whiterose grocery store and bought some candy to bring back. I picked out some pretty good stuff I think you all will love. I am sad to say that I did not find ANY sort of toffee candy mom. Sorry! I thought for sure they would have a lot, but seriously not a single one.

Our Evening:

We went back to the hostel, showered, and got dressed up. Hannah and I went to go see "We Will Rock You" at the theatre. It was a play by Queen and some other guy. Hannah treated me to the show! Thanks Hannah! The play was really entertaining and bloody hilarious! They had a lot of Queen music, so you can probably imagine how crazy it was. The overall play was about saving rock music and took place in the future. It was truly an excellant way to end our Europe excursion!

-MLE

No comments: