Saturday, June 2, 2007

Fish and Chips and Penguin Bars Oh My!

Today was quite exhausting. We woke up, got ready, and ate breakfast at our hostel. The breakfast here was quite nice for being free. We stole two pieces of fruit and hid them in our purses for later. After that we headed off to the Tower.

The tower was just as cool as I remembered, but a lot has been done to it. They've added a lot more videos than I remembered, and we went in a few more towers I don't remember either. The weather was gorgeous for being there. It's actually pretty hot and clear skies all day long. We saw the crown jewels, went on some of the tour with the yeomen, went in the towers, and we even got to see a 62 gun salute for the Queen's coronation anniversary.

After the tower we headed off the Tower bridge. We paid to go in because I remember always wanting to do it last time I came and we never did. We went up and got to see the skyline of London. We also learned some cool history of how and why it was made. Poor old Horace didn't get to see his design finished, but he did win the contest for the design contest. We even got to see the bridge go up and down while we were on top. Pretty cool.

Then we went to the Globe Theatre. I'm not really sure if it was open because they're actually holding Othello or some other play there right now. We kind of just snuck into the gate area and took some pictures. The iron gates were the coolest thing I remembered anyway. We then walked to St. Paul's Cathedral across the river. We really lucked out here. We didn't have to pay to go in because in a few minutes there was going to be a choral service open to the public. It was cool that we got to go in for free because we weren't going to pay to go in.

After that we went to the "Monument." We paid an extra £.50 on our Bridge ticket to get a ticket for the Monument too. It was closed when we went there, so I guess we'll go some other time. The monument is for the fire that destroyed most of London.

Oh! After the Tower we got really good cheap fish and chips from this place trying to compete with everyone else around the tower. It was so good. Tonight we went to the grocery store and bought hummus, pita bread, and penguin bars. A very good dinner indeed!

I haven't been to Harrow yet, but I might stop by if we have time. It's north harrow right?
Tell Jake I said congrats on graduating! Don't let him go to the beach next week though because it's nothing but a drunken abomination of graduates.

-H

2 comments:

RissA said...

Hey Hannah. I just got back from Nicaragua. It was very very amazing. By far the best thing I've ever done in my life. It was very hard, though. I can't put into words how awful that country is. I also got very very VERY sick yesterday. I spent the whole night hugging the toilet. I dunno how it happend. I didn't drink the water, but somehow still got sick. I've never been that sick--that is for sure! I will tell you all about it when you return. I have a ton of pictures!!

I'm glad you are still having a blast! I miss you. I can't wait to see you! Be careful.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
We are at Jacob's graduation party. Denise wants penguin bars and lots of them. I just want you home. Sleep on the way home because I want to hear all about it. Everyone says Hi....Nanny lived in North Harrow and in Rayners lane. I love you..Mom